In honor of her and all she has accomplished in her life I want to share something I wrote about her. Those who know her will enjoy reading this. If you don't know her, well, it may be LONG but...
This tells what a truly WONDERFUL lady she is!!
She really has made a difference in many lives... and what an example she is...
and here is why!
..........................
STORY:
“WHO I AM MAKES A DIFFERENCE”
I’d like to share a personal example of someone who makes a difference in my life. As I often do this time of year around Thanksgiving time, I ponder on the many blessings I am grateful for, and I think of this person. This person makes me want to be a better person. She reminds me of my Savior Jesus Christ, because I know nobody who is a better citizen or more Christ like than her. Her example has been a great influence on me. I have said “When I grow up I want to be just like my mom.” I feel like I am still waiting to grow up because I know I have so far to go, but I am thankful for her example. I know that she has influenced numerous people and her community for good.
I’d like to share a personal example of someone who makes a difference in my life. As I often do this time of year around Thanksgiving time, I ponder on the many blessings I am grateful for, and I think of this person. This person makes me want to be a better person. She reminds me of my Savior Jesus Christ, because I know nobody who is a better citizen or more Christ like than her. Her example has been a great influence on me. I have said “When I grow up I want to be just like my mom.” I feel like I am still waiting to grow up because I know I have so far to go, but I am thankful for her example. I know that she has influenced numerous people and her community for good.
.................
**She taught school for many years. I observed her go well beyond the expectations of a teacher. Although she has been given many honors and awards, her greatest honor is in seeing the influence she had on people. She supervised student council for many years. Today, after decades of service, the Gilbert public schools has a “Student council seminar day” named after her. She has a particular group of 4 student council officers that she worked with more than 20 years ago. She has had the opportunity of going through the Temple with them, and writing to them on missions. They still visit her in her home, and now bring their children. These past students are ones who now, also make a difference in their communities. I know my mother had an influence on them.
....................
**She served the youth of the church for 40+ years straight. She took in her home many troubled teens in past years. In fact I can hardly remember a time growing up that we didn't have someone living in our home, wether it be an abused spouse, a troubled teen, or someone just needing a helping hand in life. Our door was always open and we always had a bed to spare. She was nearly 70 the last year she went to girls camp. At the age of 73 she directed the roadshow. She’s kind of like the energizer bunny… she just keeps going...and going...and goooingg!!!
.........................
**One of my mother’s neighbors was an elderly woman named Pearl. While Pearl was in her 90's, my mother would see that meals were taken in to Pearl daily, otherwise Pearl wouldn’t eat. She saw that Christmas lights got put on Pearls home each year, this made Pearl happy. She saw that the 2 cars that sat in Pearls driveway for over 20 years without being driven got washed occasionally. She was a listening ear for Pearl. She checked in on her often. Our family would invite Pearl to family gatherings and a highlight of Pearls was a visit from our family on Christmas eve. Pearl saw her 100th Birthday before passing away.
**One of my mother’s neighbors was an elderly woman named Pearl. While Pearl was in her 90's, my mother would see that meals were taken in to Pearl daily, otherwise Pearl wouldn’t eat. She saw that Christmas lights got put on Pearls home each year, this made Pearl happy. She saw that the 2 cars that sat in Pearls driveway for over 20 years without being driven got washed occasionally. She was a listening ear for Pearl. She checked in on her often. Our family would invite Pearl to family gatherings and a highlight of Pearls was a visit from our family on Christmas eve. Pearl saw her 100th Birthday before passing away.
Mom, of course threw the
P A R T Y!
.........................
.
.
.
**My mother is known for her picture taking. But she doesn’t necessarily do it for her own benefit, she does this for others. She spends much time at her “scrap booking” station in her home. Of course Gilbert schools have many books she’s done. For years, her 6 children received a set of pages each month with pictures of family gatherings or special events we’ve attended. She not only does this for her children but she will usually send a page to someone whose party, reception or other honor she has attended.
.........................
.
.
**She has made Family heirloom books for both sides of her family with old treasured pictures, stories etc... She has held an annual "Backyard Bash" every february in the last 15 years to honor my dad on his birthday since he passed away. This brings together my daddy's family and many old and dear friends. She always has well over 100 in attendance. She is the "highlight" of the annual Clegg reunion each summer. So many grand nieces and nephews are EXCITED to spend time with Aunt Jean!

[Mom with a great nephew and his son at the Clegg reunion]
YUP! She dresses up in her "piggy" gear and plays her accordian for the traditional parade. She plays piano and accordian BY EAR. That means NO READING MUSIC. You hum her a tune and she will play it with accompaniment! AMAZING...
....................
.
**OK lets talk about CARDS…
she sends at least 1-2 Birthday, or other occation cards each day. That is hundred’s of cards a year!
REALLY! NO EXAGERATION!
This is one thing she does that comes with many happy returns. She has received some wonderful letters back saying… I got that on just the day I needed to hear your message, or telling her what a great influence she is. And you better have a little extra time to read her annual Holiday letter cuz it isn't short. hahah! I think that list is also well into the hundreds! ;)
This is one thing she does that comes with many happy returns. She has received some wonderful letters back saying… I got that on just the day I needed to hear your message, or telling her what a great influence she is. And you better have a little extra time to read her annual Holiday letter cuz it isn't short. hahah! I think that list is also well into the hundreds! ;)
......................
*** May I add that several of her grandchildren that went to Mesa High could be found at her house with their friends at lunch time. They know that her door is “always open”. Many of her grandchildren just want their friends to meet her cuz she is just so “COOL” . She has got a fun sense of humor and they arn't afraid to say anything to her. She understands and accepts teenagers! WOW!
............................
This is why I proudly honor my mother…
This is why I proudly honor my mother…
I could go on and on even more but we all get the point.
She makes a difference for the good and touches lives whether it be in her community, at church, with a neighbor, family or friends. She has given so much and I am grateful for her example.
She makes a difference for the good and touches lives whether it be in her community, at church, with a neighbor, family or friends. She has given so much and I am grateful for her example.
We had a Birthday party for her last week. Over 300 people came. (This was even during presidential debate #2 -haha)
She LOVED it!
Momma always loves a
P A R T Y
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!
I LOVE YOU!!!



7 comments:
awww...i love my grandma.
she is fabulous!
<3
Well, done Jill. Thanks for honoring our mom. She deserves it. We can all learn from her example, as well as YOURS. Love ya little sis.
I love my grandma! Great tribute...she deserves it :)
SO BEAUTIFUL! Well you grew up to be just like your Mom! Now I understand why your family is so great, all of you! How I admire every talent you have!! Love ya lots!
Jill,
Of-course I remember you!! I LOVE your family.I think of you guys every summer and wonder if your up for the reunion and shoppin'till ya droppin'.
Tell your Mom . Happy-B-day from me! She is such an inspiration! I'll never forget when she came to my salon and played her accordian while everyone got their hair done :)
L, Marie
80!!! Dang! She looks great. I enjo reading your uplifting posts. Keep um coming!
I love Jean!! She is a second mom and a great friend to me. She is a spiritual advisor to me and I can not count the many conversations we have shared over the years. I love the entire webster clan because she shared so much of them with me and includes me and my family in that clan. I cant express how much I appreciate that coming from such a small family. She makes me smile every time I see her and I know she loves me and enjoys me which makes me feel so good to be with her. Jill I love you and thank you for sharing your mama with me!
Post a Comment