Friday, September 26, 2008

Today I am GRATEFUL for
TEXT - ing


At the age of forty something, I have finally gotten pretty good at this thing called texting. I also kinda “get it” I used to think that texting was ridiculous. I mean, why would someone want to fiddle with their fingers and stare into a little screen as a form of communication? A waste of time. How NOT to communicate really. Do teenagers really know how to hold a proper conversation on the phone? And how annoying is it to try to get someone’s attention when they are distracted by the TEXT? While most of those things can be true at times, I myself have found JOY in texting!

Here are some of the reasons why…

I really can communicate with someone and do something totally productive at the same time!

I can let loved ones know that I am thinking of them and “I LOVE THEM” right when the moment hits me! I can send Holiday greetings to ALL of my loved ones all at once. I can send good luck or birthday wishes. We can share pictures, videos, and JOKES! I have even invited 50 plus peeps to a party at my house!!

I can tell APRiL at any moment that “I wish I was in Utah with you right now” or we can swap pictures of our beloved dogs! Or send silly videos of wild shopping adventures, or give an opinion on which one to choose, or just to brag about the things we love that can only be found in UTAH Orrrrr ARIZONA!
And I can see them progress in putting together their new home, like pictures of James painting! and {inside jokes} can be the best!

From my nieces and nephews I can see silly videos of them doing the frog walk on the beach or at Disneyland. They send me cute pics of their kiddos or the best is when they send one with details of their "brand new" baby in the hospital! I also get funny holiday greetings through text or the Gooooo Suns on game days! and I like to RANDOMLY tell them how SPECIAL they are!

With my sister I share inside jokes, special moments when they happen or we even get away with making snide remarks followed by HA HAH! The best is when we ask the question “Are you OK?" ...Just thinking about you a lot today”!!

Britney isn’t the only one to call me mom either. Through text, Brits friends will let me know they are thinking of me. “I miss you MOM” from Tessa. “Will you officially adopt me” from Natalie and “happy moms day” or “can I come early to help you get ready for the party” from Kara! Sometimes they just tell me they love me or Brit is blessed to have me for a mom : ) (kinda my fav) And they all know I will find their mischievous adventures intriguing so they keep me in the loop on their happenings!

My dear friend Amy lives a little too far into Gilbert to see her often enough and we know talking on the phone can get into the hours which we don’t have enough time in the day for so we have resorted to texting. The only problem with this is she can text books (her keyboard experience has paid off) and I like to stick 1-2 pages at a time. We share family updates and “what day can you meet for breakfast” or the best… “How’s that diet going?” Lots of advice is also shared, and questions are answered and while on vacation, we can still keep in touch!

I’ve only gotten a Few texts from Kirt, but you better believe I have saved those, after all it isn’t often someone texts me “Jill you ROCK and I love you” ; ) He becomes envious of the conversations I have with our daughter and he is left out of the loop. So he’s catching on to this texting thing and is beginning to surprise us a little, So a text from Kirt is REAL SPECIAL!!!

And then there’s Brit… She always texts me funny stories, a sad story about something she saw, DETAILS about school or where she is, or, "umm guess who just called me or asked me out?". She even text me from on top of the Empire State building to tell me she just got kissed!! and from Philadelphia to show and tell me about eating her first REAL Philly cheese steak sandwich! And Vegas? I won’t go there ; ) hahah! And what mom doesn’t like the “thanx mommy” or “I’m sorry mom” or just “I love you mom". Smiley face. Shoot! I even like the “mom what’s for dinner?” Anyway, the mass majority of my texts are from Brit. And she knows she can't hide cuz her phone is always with her!

Ya I am liking this texting thing.


Who would of thunk it?

The BEST was this morning!

My alarm went off. Hit snooze. Brits alarm goes off. Hits snooze. 30 minutes later… Still SNOOZING! Me in my room. Brit in hers. Yet we both can hear the still quietness of the house, and are aware of our sorry attempts at getting out of bed.

8:30 AM still in bed, I text Brit…
....
{TEXT CoNVeRSaTioN}
ME (to Brit):
What ya doing?
Brit: ummm... still in bed
Me:
Me too! : )
Brit: ahahaha laziessss
Me:
Who is getting up first?
(trickery on my part)
Brit:
ME!
(yes! It worked)
Me: K come talk to me!

a half hour later we were still laughing and talking on my bed! I guess the office can get by without us for another hour today! But it was worth it. PRICELESS moments! And it all started with a TEXT!


...and after writing this, I "get it" even more.

YAY! for the TEXT!

4 comments:

Britney {Jesses Girl} said...

YEAH! SHE "GETS" it!! wooo hooo!

i love our texting convos.

But i must admit i get a little jealous when you text my friends...

:]

but it's okay. cuz you text me more! ahaha

love you.

great blog, fyi.

Grandmommy Crum said...

Is there hope for your forty something friend????? I can not do the texting yet, Im just starting with the blogging! But that has brought a deeper relationship with my girls, I love it. Its like knowing many of their deepest feelings, other wise you might not ever know. Its cheap therepy! You cant put a price tag on that! I think I need "to get " the text message next, another way of staying close! Thanks for your wisdom, I LOVE YOU!

Gail said...

I'm just starting to get it too Jill! I'm not nearly as adept at it as you but it really has been a great tool for me lately and I'm getting the hang of it. I used to think it was such a waste of time, but now I actually find myself needing it!:) P.S. I love the way you do your words on your posts...so hip and happening!
and what a great moment with your Britney...so precious those moments are!

Natalie said...

Brit you SHOULD be jealous she texts me! Hehehe just kidding, half the time it's me texting her from YOUR phone lolz. Jill jill jill I love you so so much and really, i'm adopted whether you like it or not. I know your deep and dark motivations that keep you reading books, and which scenes are your favorites in all the good movies. And I love your random texts (especially around holidays, which, by the way--Halloweeeeeen is coming up!) You are so amazing and your blog is friggen' cute! :]